Saturday, July 4, 2009

¡La fiesta del cuatro de julio!

Today's 4th of July party was great fun. Sra and I went exploring around Sosúa (a big tourist city). We walked along the beach and visted the mercado (shopping area) and último (at last) arrived at the fiesta.

Please note that Sra. said that she was not happy that I am mixing my English and Spanish on this blog; however, I feel that all of you appreciate it.

This morning Johnson (our driver) picked us up and drove us to Sosúa. When we arrived, Sra and I then channeled our inner Dora the Explorers and at last came to the BBQ.
A woman there (she's British) has a pig farm and brought one of her pigs for the BBQ. We feasted on hamburgers, potato salad, corn, pulled pork, ribs and more.
The Dominican Republic also serves coca cola product, except diet coke is called coca cola Light - and mom, if you can order this off the internet DO IT!

It's the most fantastic diet coke i've ever tasted in my life.
Actually, to be honest, i think that everything taste better here. Sra. says again, "don't get used to this"because the Seminary where we'll be moving into on Sunday has been known to serve meals such as rice and sardines.

At the party I met a beautiful Dominican woman, Claribel, (pronounced Kah-lar-ee-Belle) and she spoke Spanish with me the entire time, correcting my grammar and pronunciation. I can't tell you how much I learned today. Ending our conversation she took down my email address so that we could keep in touch and said, "Victoria, mi casa es su casa" (My home is your home)
Mom and Dad, she also added a quick addendum to this saying, "y tu padre y madre y tus hermanos o toda suyo familia" (and your father and mother and your brothers and sisters and all your family)

So mom, if you're planning that trip, come on! We've got a NICE place to stay.
Claribel is married to an American man.
Speaking of which, minimum wage here is 6000 pesos a month ($200-$250)
You can build a home here for about $40,000-$90,000
And a good home too- like 2-3 stories, beachside property in a nice area.

I don't know how the people can live on so little.
The poverty here is upsetting - but the people generally are just wonderful.
More about where i'm staying:
Where we live there is no airconditioning, no dishwasher, we've got pour our own drinking water from those big, blue water jugs that you've got at your office, Dad. I sleep on a couch made in the 1960s, there's no TV, microwave, or laundry. But, I have a bed, which a year ago, the seminarian didn't even have. At night, we wet cool rags and put them on our faces to keep cool. I'm very lucky that Grace has a few fans, which give both comfort and keep the bugs away.
Speaking of bugs - There's no way to keep the ants out, so we are constantly sweeping, mopping and cleaning. You can't leave food out - and if you want fruits or vegitables - you've got to go the market the day you want them, or else the food will spoil. Nothing keeps for more than a few days. Also, for those who like pee- alot. You can't put toilet paper in any of the toilets because it'll clog the entire system. So, it is the custom here (and i mean custom) "If it's yellow, let it mellow and ALL toilet paper goes in the trashcan"...Or else they'll shoot you. (at least that is what the sign in the bathroom said today at lunch)
At night, Grace teaches me how to cook, old school style. She's an incredible cook and I can't wait to come home and cook for you all. I don't think Í've ever had more fun in my life.
The only thing I miss are the fireworks.
A sampling of the deliciousness they were serving on the grill today
Claribel is to the far right

I paid this woman 10pesos to let me take a photo of her because I was so anamored with the fact that she could balance all that on her head.


Sra. said, "Tori, get inside that tree, let me take a photo!"



No comments:

Post a Comment