Thursday, July 29, 2010

sHOW me oBEDience


Inspired by the 2008 FOCUS conference, I took their challenge and knealt down one evening and prayed, "Lord, I surrender my life to you. This life I give to You. Help me to die to myself daily, so that I can live a new life in You." 


Totally expecting to feel smug and super holy I was shocked when, in my heart I felt God raise an eyebrow and question me saying, 'Woah girl, slow down. Now, seriously think about what you just said, do you really mean that?" 
The first time it happened I was taken aback and shocked - and honestly, a lot a bit offended.
"Of COURSE I want to die to myself and give my life to you, Lord." I respond in a defensive confusion, "DUH?"
"But Tori," my heart replied, "I want you to know that this isn't going to be easy. It's going to be really hard - really hard." 
"Seriously God? Are we really having this conversation? Seriously? Like, I thought you wanted all of us to hand over our lives to you as if this was the big moment- and now you're trying to convince me out of it? Is this some kind of trick? You're lucky I'm so willing to do this. Do you know how many people do this?"
"I tell you, it is going to hurt. You won't like it. It's going to be tough." 
I stopped for a moment. This really surprised me. I've never wanted the journey to be hard. I  wanted to follow Christ because that was what was going to make life easier - not harder. I don't want pain - I don't want hurt. Hurt? What? 
"But God, I know that I am supposed to choose You...but uh, since we're on the topic...just how painful are we talking about?" 
My heart only responded with a firm challenge, "Will you follow me?" 
And as my whole body shrieked 'NO!' I answered, hesitantly, 'eeehh, well, uh, ummm, ooook? yes. YES. Yes, I will follow you." 


"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" - Matthew 6:21



A year ago, while in tears, I pulled out a black journal and wrote, "God, bring me to another group of friends...bring me that joy again." I was past the point of asking, I was telling. 

I went to bed that night feeling miserable and not just alone - but lonely. 

But in the past year God has answered that prayer.  Today, I am blessed and graced with so many great friends - I am not lonely - and far from feeling alone...until tonight.

Tonight I realized that
Gillian is moving to New York. Allie is living in LA.
The Aussies are in Australia the Dominicans are in the Dominican and Lori is in Washington
Matt's headed to Louisiana
Bobby's gone...Caitlin's gone...Sara's gone...
It feels like everyone is being taken away- that my prayer is being taken away. 




For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future - Jeremiah 29:11


But, twistedly, I see what God is doing.


As I am working through this Pre-Life Crisis, I am beginning to figure out where God wants me to walk next - but I'm hesitant to step, filled with excuses and attachments. But this entire summer, slowly, one by one, God started taking them away. The plan. The job. The backup plan and the backup job. And now - the people. 
Because He knows I can't leave you - that I'll struggle putting you before Him. So what is God doing by taking away my friends? God is removing from me all the distractions - all the excuses and attachments- and leaving me with a choice: the world, or Him. 




Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.” - Matthew 10:37



The struggle is: I love this world. I love it's food and it's clothes - it's colors, it's sunsets - it's people. This world is AWESOME! But God desires for me to desire something even more, even greater. And I've already made my choice, I'm going to choose God - but in this moment, I'm trying to give the world one last squeeze before my God puts it away and asks instead that I love Him. 



And I know that God's love is so much greater than this world. I mean, I love this world and my God INVENTED it. Like, He's so much bigger - SO much bigger. And my head knows this.
But in my heart, I'm still unsure - still fighting it - because I'm still holding on. 


I don't want to let you go - because you are the ones who I see Christ in. You are the ones who taught me how to love and who inspire me to love more. You are the ones who aren't afraid to sit me down at Starbucks until 1am to remind me how much you care. Who let me cry abnoxiously on the phone for two hours and tag along on adventures to milk goats. You pray for me, even when I've been a total jerk and don't judge me when I fall short on this walk towards holiness - again and again, you forgive, encourage, inspire and support.  


I never understood why people cried at graduations or why 'empty nest syndrome' plauged so many mothers: But I understand it now. It was a twenty-one year learning curve, but I got it. I got it now. And it totally sucks that God's in the process of taking it away just as I'm realizing it. And what's worse, is I know that God's doing it out of love. 
I just wish love didn't have to hurt so much. 



And then on love hurting - hurt - suffering - Christ DIED on the cross for me - for love of me - His love meant His death. Who am I to fight to hold on to people when "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13


Holiness isn't easy. The path to Heaven isn't always extraordinary miracles and visions and healings. True holiness like true love, is in the details. The day-to-day. The ordinary. Suffering, not because we're being punished, but because we're being extraordinarly LOVED. It's a new kind of love. And my heart gets it, but my body is still fighting it...


"When a fetus is in the womb, it resists leaving the womb for the outside world. It fights as hard as it can to stay in the womb. The reason is that when the fetus leaves the womb, its home is destroyed. All its nourishment and everything else it had in the womb breaks apart and flows away.Who would want to go through something like that? Every fetus cries, "No!" right up to the moment of birth. But the child who experiences pain in order to emerge from its mother's womb grows to become the object of its parents' love. In the same way, our spirit self must leave behind our crying physical body in order to be born anew as the eternal object of the God who is a spiritual being." Revered Sun Myung Moon on Death and Dying




God, you are right. This walk IS hard. It DOES hurt. It is NOT easy. 


I really miss my friends. The ones who have left, I want to come back. The ones who are here, I don't want to go. 


But today, you are asking me to choose. You are asking me 'where is your treasure'? And in the midst of all this ache, and all these tears and all this reluctance, there is only one answer that I can really give. One decision that I can make, and though my answer is simple and obvious - it's complicated and discreet and painful and liberating-


I choose You. 






2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3.8.10

    that's awesome. and don't look back. just because your friends aren't around, it doesn't mean you've stopped caring for each other. it just hurts because you are loving each other from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12.10.10

    i am maddy's suite mate and she showed me your blog. and let me just say, it is VERY inspiring! thank you for sharing your stories! :)

    God bless, Bernadette

    ReplyDelete